Usability testing is vital for the success of any site. Testing the usability of your site will ensure a pleasant user experience for your visitors. Here are some of the benefits of website usability testing.
1. Uncovers problematic areas in your site
Usability testing enables you to find out exactly which areas in your site have a problem. For instance, if you have an ecommerce site, usability testing could help you discover a high shopping cart drop-out rate. This could be due to a lengthy or complicated checkout process, high prices or inadequate product information. Once the reason is clear, you can then take the necessary steps towards dealing with this problem.
2. Enhances your visitors’ brand experience
Improving your website usability will give visitors a pleasant experience of your brand. However, if visitors have a negative experience on your site, they are likely to leave and never return. Some of the usability issues that would put off your visitors include:
- Broken links
- Messy layout
- Poor grammar
- Site errors
3. Enhances visitor retention rate
Some people who land on your homepage will exit your site without visiting any other page. Website usability testing will help you figure out the reasons for poor visitor retention. The following are some of the reasons why your site could be losing many visitors:
- Your homepage loads too slowly
- People cannot figure out what your site is all about
- Visitors are not able to find what they are looking for on your site
- Your site requires users to download a plug-in before accessing the content
Some of the most effective visitor retention tactics include:
- Grabbing the attention of visitors with exit pop-up ads
- Offering frequent updates on the homepage. This will enhance the chances of people returning, even if they don’t visit any other page
- Offering a great giveaway on the homepage
Usability testing gives you some insight into how visitors use your site and how they think. Having this understanding of your visitors will enable you to offer what they really need.
4. Boosts sales and profits
When usability testing enhances visitors’ brand experience, lowers the shopping cart drop-out rate and enhances visitor retention rate, the ultimate result is an increase in your sales and profits. To enhance your bottom line, you need to ask yourself the following questions:
- Are the people you are targeting likely to purchase your product?
- Can visitors find information on your products fast and easily?
- Is the information currently available sufficient?
- If you are selling physical products, have u provided clear photographs?
- When customers make a decision to buy, how easy is the checkout process?